Healthy living isn’t always easy for those of us who lead busier lives! But those are committed to positive change and resolutions can find great benefit in the process. Things that are healthy/tasty aren’t always difficult to find or make either. Today we have a classic healthy recipe for you to try at home! Hummus; that’s right, hummus! This classic middle eastern appetizer makes a great accompaniment to veggies, sandwiches, pita chips and more. The beautiful taste, and texture of hummus, however, is often masked by citric acid, which is used as a preservative to preserve shelf-life. Making hummus for yourself at home is a GAME-CHANGER; and we mean it! We therefore have no doubt you’ll love the recipe to come.
What you will Need
Hummus is a dish that is greater than the sum of it’s arts if done correctly with the right equipment. Here’s what you need:
- Food Processor
- Small bowl
- Fine mesh sieve
- Spoon to scrape the sides of processor
- 1 Cup of dried Chickpeas (buying canned will shorten the prep time a lot)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/3 cup (or more) of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more
- 2/3 cup excellent quality tahini (very important)
- 1/4 tsp (or more) ground cumin
- 1 splash of olive oil
- (optional) chopped parsley and paprika for serving
Just 5 Steps
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and cover with plenty of water (the chickpeas will double in volume so use more water than assumed). Soak the chickpeas overnight at room temp. Next day, drain the chickpeas and rinse under cold water NOTE: if you purchased chickpeas in the can, you can skip this step)
- Place chickpeas in a large pot with the 1 remaining teaspoon of baking soda and add cold water and cover by at least 4 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, skimming off any scum that rises to the surface. Lower the heat to medium, cover the pot, and simmer for an hour, until the chickpeas are tender. Then simmer a little more (the secret is to overcook them slightly so don’t worry if they are a little mushy.) Drain. NOTE: once again, if you purchased chickpeas in the can, you can skip this step)
- Place garlic in a food processor with the lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of salt until coarsely pureed; let it sit for 10 minuets to allow garlic to mellow.
- Strain garlic mixture thru a fine mesh sieve into a small bowl to remove the solids and keep the liquid. Return the liquid to the food processor and add the tahini! With the motor running, slowly add 1/4 cup of ice water to the mixture until it is smooth, pale, and thick. Add the chickpeas & cumin and puree it all together for several minuets or until the hummus is super creamy! Puree more for further creaminess and add more salt, lemon juice, and cumin to taste.
- To serve, spread the hummus in a shallow bowl, dust with paprika, top ith parsley and more tahini if you want. Then drizzle generously with olive oil!
There you have it! feeling hungry yet? We hope you take this recipe and master the heck out of this healthy and loved dish! See you next time!